ServiceNow Launches Lightstep Notebooks to Help Developers Accelerate Troubleshooting
ServiceNow has unveiled its Lightstep Notebooks, an added feature in Lightstep Observability designed to enable faster, more collaborative and more accurate troubleshooting.
More than ever, SRE (Site Reliability Engineering) teams are critical to business resilience. According to IDC’s 2022 SRE Survey, more than a third (36.3%) of SRE organizations cite improved revenues and profits as a key measure of the success of their teams. The same percentage of SRE organizations cite improved customer experience as a measure of SRE success.
Too often the same SREs and developers are stuck resolving production incidents to understand the root causes. SREs and developers have to work with different tools, data sources and even time zones, increasing complexity in their path to solution.
By connecting disparate data sources, Lightstep Notebooks delivers unified, comprehensive analytics across applications and infrastructure. It enables developers to analyze data through powerful visualizations while creating a structured picture of the research steps and the path to a solution. In addition, Lightstep Notebooks enables SREs and developers to quickly mitigate incidents and proactively prevent recurrence, maintaining a reliable end-user experience.
By leveraging Change Intelligence (Lightstep’s analytics engine), Lightstep Notebooks enables any developer, operator, or SRE to immediately understand changes in the health of their service and underlying infrastructure. This is critical when investigating an incident, collaborating between teams, or quickly documenting lessons to share with the entire organization.
Important capabilities include:
• Data Visualizations – Ad hoc charts about systems and their underlying data, including heatmaps and time series with tracking examples, help SREs understand why incidents occurred.
• High data retention – 100% of trace data can be retained for up to three days, giving SREs ample time to identify the root cause of an incident without any data loss.
• Enhanced Collaboration – SREs can easily share Notebooks analytics with colleagues via a shareable link, so they can start collaborating right away.
• Reduced Complexity – A directly generated research path within Lightstep brings out intelligent correlations to quickly and confidently determine where a problem lies.
• Simple Autopsy – SREs can feed the insights generated during an investigation into an autopsy, allowing teams to discuss the root cause of problems and take long-term action to prevent them from happening again.
Damien Mathieu, a staff developer at Okta and a Lightstep Notebooks user, said: “Lightstep Notebooks addresses the needs that arise during our team’s troubleshooting by providing detailed, context-specific data and facilitating the ability to collaborate to solve problems in real time.
“With Notebooks, our team has been able to reduce our reliance on logs, saving us time and resources, and providing a better customer experience through one unified view of telemetry data.”
ServiceNow acquired Lightstep in 2021 to solidify and accelerate our position as the world’s leading enterprise platform for digital businesses. With Lightstep, an emerging pioneer in next-generation application monitoring and observation, ServiceNow helps developers and SREs build, deploy, run, and monitor state-of-the-art, cloud-native applications.
Together, ServiceNow and Lightstep strive to extend the benefits of observability across the enterprise through digital workflows that turn real-time insights into action for the technologies, people and processes that enable digital business.
Do you want to renew your digital transformation strategy? Learn more about Week of the digital transformation taking place in Amsterdam, California and London, and discover the key strategies to make your digital endeavors a success.