The Gordon N. Fisher/JHR Journalism Fellowship is an annual opportunity for a journalist from Sub-Saharan Africa or the Middle East to participate in the William Southam Journalism Fellowship Program at Massey College in the University of Toronto.
Application Deadline: 31st January 2022
Eligible Countries: Countries in sub-Saharan Africa & the Middle East
To be taken at (country): Massey College in University of Toronto, Canada
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Gordon N. Fisher/JHR Journalism Fellowship: The Fellowship underwrites:
(1) an eight-month stipend that will replicate the successful applicant’s salary along with any costs associated with the
program. The first monthly installment will commence with an end-September payment and conclude with the
(2) all university fees;
(3) travel expenses up to the cost of economy airfare to and from Toronto for the Fellow;
(4) travel expenses for organized trips during the program;
(5) a winter clothing allowance;
(6) a book allowance.
Please note that there are no provisions for family members.
Duration of Programme: over one academic year – September to May
Eligibility: To be eligible for Gordon N. Fisher/JHR Journalism Fellowship, applicants must have/be:
- 5 years’ experience working in media
- Currently full-time as a news or editorial employee at a newspaper, radio station, television station, magazine or news service. Freelance journalists who have been working consistently in the media over an eight-year period will also be considered
- Proficiency in English
- Three letters of reference
- Statement of intent
- Proposal for plan of study.
How to Apply : For details on the application process, please download the Application Information Pack and Application Form