Check your Sassa R350 grant status. Use/Click the link below to check:

Check your Sassa R350 grant status. Use/Click the link below to check:


SASSA and Social Scholarships: Everything You Need to Know

Through Erene Roux

The SASSA Files: From the requirements to the application process, here’s everything you need to know about social scholarships in South Africa.

It is believed that social grants support 33% of South Africans.

According to Jannie Rossouw, head of the School of Economics and Business at the University of the Witwatersrand, grants are very important in South Africa because of the extent of poverty, the resulting number of recipients and the amount paid out.

Grant monies are used not only to support beneficiaries but also to provide wider support to the citizens of South Africa.


Based on research he did more than a third of South Africans depend – directly and indirectly – on subsidies. Any disruption to benefits will therefore have a huge adverse effect on a large number of poor households.


Applications for social grants are managed by the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA).

According to the non-profit news agency GroundUpSASSA is mandated by the South African Social Security Agency Act of 2004 to “ensure the delivery of comprehensive social security services against frailty and poverty within the constitutional legislative framework”.

To understand the do’s and don’ts of these grants, here’s a rundown of everything we know so far:

The 2004 Social Assistance Act and the regulations accompanying the Act provide the legal framework for the administration of seven social benefits.

Grants target categories of people who are vulnerable to poverty and who need state support. These are the elderly, people with disabilities and children.

Also, the Social Relief of Distress award provides immediate temporary assistance to people in urgent need of financial support and is given to people in the form of vouchers, food parcels or money for a period of three months.

Available grants include:

Child Support GrantElderly AllowanceDisabled AllowanceGrant-in-AidConstant Aid AllowanceWar Veterans GrantFoster Child Grant


Social scholarship applicants must be South African citizens, permanent residents or refugees and currently reside in South Africa.

With the exception of the Foster Child Grant and the Grant in Aid, social grants in South Africa are currently being ‘tested’. This refers to the process of assessing the value of your assets and income and is different for single and married people in SA.

You are only eligible for a subsidy if your income and assets fall below a certain limit. This threshold is different for all benefits and depends on whether or not you are married.

The amount you receive for your old age and disability benefits is also determined by the means test and you may not necessarily receive the maximum amount offered by SASSA.

If you do some work or have another source of income, but really need social assistance benefits, you can still apply for a scholarship. You must declare all your income and assets to SASSA. If you receive WAO, old age or war veterans benefit, your monthly amount will be reduced according to your income.

If you are admitted to a state institution for an extended period of time, the value of your old age, disability or war veterans benefit will be reduced to 25% of the value from the 4th month after your admission until you are discharged.


To receive this scholarship, you must be the primary caregiver of a child who also lives with you in South Africa. If you are not the child’s biological parent, you must provide proof of your primary caregiver status, such as an affidavit from a police officer, a report from a social worker, an affidavit from the child’s biological parent, or a letter from the child’s school principal. Children must be under 18 years of age. Children should not be cared for in a state institution. You cannot request more than six non-biological or legally adopted children. To be eligible for the grant you must meet the requirements of the income test. You can read more about here.


The Care Dependency Grant is given to the caregivers of children with disabilities. The child must be found to be permanently and seriously medically disabled by a doctor and must be under the age of 18. The child cannot be cared for in a state institution. to be eligible for the grant you must meet the requirements of the income test.Read more about here.


To qualify for this scholarship, both you and the child you are caring for must reside in South Africa. The child must be under the age of 18 and there must be a court order proving that you have been designated as a foster carer for the child. There is no substance test for foster parents. The child must remain in the care of the foster parent. Read more about here.


To be eligible for this scholarship, you must be between the ages of 18 and 59. You must have been found to be medically incapacitated for work by a company doctor because of a mental or physical disability. The scholarship is available permanently or temporarily for six to twelve months. When your temporary grant expires and you have not recovered enough to return to work, you must apply for the grant again. Your permanent grant may be reviewed to assess whether you are still incapacitated for work. You cannot receive any other grants and must not be cared for in a state facility. To be eligible for the scholarship you must meet the requirements of the means test.Read more about here.


If you live on Social Security but can’t take care of yourself, you can get an additional grant to pay the person who takes care of you full-time. The Grant in Aid is an additional grant for people with disabilities, the elderly or grants for war veterans who are unable to care for themselves due to their mental or physical disabilities and must pay a full-time carer. To get this scholarship, you must be assessed by a medical officer. You cannot get this scholarship if you are being cared for in a state institution. Read more about here.


You can apply for this grant if you are 60 years of age or older. You cannot receive any other benefit and you must not be supervised by a government agency. To be eligible for the benefit, you must meet the requirements of the income test. You can read more about here.


To be eligible for this scholarship you must have fought in World War I, World War II or the Korean War. You must also be over 60 years of age or disabled. You cannot receive any other benefit and must not be cared for in a state facility. In order to be eligible for the benefit, you must meet the requirements of the means test. You can read more about here.


Social assistance is temporary assistance for people in the following situations:

You need help while you wait for your children’s benefits to be processed A crisis or disaster has occurred (for example, your house has burned down) You are not eligible for benefits and you are in a hopeless situation You are shorter than months of incapacity for work for six years and therefore ineligible for WAO benefits You cannot receive alimony from the other parent of your child or children The breadwinner in the family has died The breadwinner is in prison for a short time (less than six months) sent You have been hit by a disaster, but the area or community in which you live has not been declared a disaster area. Read more about here.

The Society in Need is provided monthly for a maximum period of three months. In exceptional cases, an extension of another three months may be granted. You cannot apply for this grant if you are already receiving another grant.


You must submit your application to the SASSA office closest to your place of residence. If you are too old or too ill to apply for the scholarship at the office, you can have a friend or relative apply on your behalf. You can also arrange a home visit, although you will have to wait a while.

The application forms must be completed in the presence of a SASSA official. When submitting your application, you will receive a receipt as proof of application. The application is free. You will be notified in writing if your application is rejected. You have the right to request a reconsideration and you can also appeal within 90 days.

Applicants must provide proof of identity. If you do not have a 13-digit barcoded ID book or child birth certificate, you can provide alternative documentation as ID. Contact the nearest SASSA office to find out which alternative documents are accepted.

Other documents required for the application: If married, provide your spouse’s ID and proof of marital relationship (marriage certificate, divorce decree, affidavit, or spouse’s death certificate). Affidavit or affidavit stating the income and assets of yourself and your spouse. Evidence to prove your income and assets. You must also submit the income of the dependent children.

The application process takes up to 90 days and your first payment will include an overdue payment for the time you wait to receive the grant. This is calculated from the first day of application.

Note: When affidavits are required, SASSA will provide the affidavits to be completed.


If your grant application is successful, you will receive a SASSA card and a bank account into which your money will be deposited each month.

This article was originally published by THE SOUTH AFRICA website

The end!!!


You can also check > Apply for Sibanye-Stillwater Vacancies. Learning opportunities are also included


Get in Touch

Related Articles

Get in Touch


Latest Posts