The School of International Development is pleased to offer competitive scholarships equal to £8,000 tuition fee reduction for applicants from Sub Saharan Africa.
Why study at the University of East Anglia? The University offers students a variety of opportunities to pursue their careers in education, society, and culture. Here, students have many opportunities in a dynamic field to develop their talents and develop a promising future in their fields of choice.
People in Norwich began to talk about the possibility of setting up a university in the nineteenth century, and attempts to establish one in Norwich were made in 1919 and 1947. But due to a lack of government funding on both occasions the plans had to be postponed. The University of East Anglia was eventually given the green light in April 1960 for biological sciences and English studies students. Initially, teaching took place in the temporary “University Village”, which was officially opened by chairman of the University Grants Committee, Keith Murray, on 29 September 1963. Sited on the opposite side of the Earlham Road to the present campus, this was a collection of prefabricated structures designed for 1200 students, laid out by the local architectural firm Feilden and Mawson. There were no residences. The vice-chancellor and administration were based in nearby Earlham Hall.
In 1961, the first vice-chancellor, Frank Thistlethwaite, had approached Denys Lasdun, an adherent of the “New Brutalist” trend in architecture, who was at that time building Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge, to produce designs for the permanent campus. The site chosen was on the western edge of the city, on the south side of Earlham Road. The land, formerly part of the Earlham Hall estate was at that time occupied by a golf course. Lasdun unveiled a model and an outline plan at a press conference in April 1963, but it took another year to produce detailed plans, which diverged considerably from the model. The first buildings did not open until late 1966.
Lasdun put all the teaching and research functions into the “teaching wall”, a single block 460 metres (1,510 feet) long following the contour of the site. Alongside this he built a walkway, giving access to the various entrances of the wall, with access roads beneath. Attached to the other, southern, side of the walkway he added the groups of terraced residences that became known as “Ziggurats”. In 1968, Lasdun was replaced as architect by Bernard Feilden, who completed the teaching wall and library and created an arena-shaped square as a social space of a kind not envisioned in his predecessor’s plans. They would later become Grade II* listed status, reflecting the importance of the architecture and the history of the campus.
Application Deadline: May 31st, 2022
Eligible Countries: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, The Democratic Republic of the Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, the United Republic of, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Type: Postgraduate Taught
Value of Award: £8000
Number of Awards: 3
Eligible Field of Study: Postgraduate degree in School of International Development, Faculty of Social Sciences.
Eligibility: To be eligible, you must;
- Be a graduate of any International institution.
- Hold a degree with a classification of 2:1 (or international equivalent).
- To have secured an offer of a place to study your chosen MA or MSc course.
- Have to provide evidence of a specified level of ability in English language requirements at the University.
How to Apply: Applicants must have taken admission at the University. After that, students can complete the scholarship application form.